Shelter to Home’s clients are moving from homelessness to independent living. They face life-altering circumstances which find them in situations without homes, or are living on extremely limited incomes. Many move to their new accommodation with nothing – they lack everything from pots and pans to living room furniture.
They are referred to Shelter to Home by the North Shore Lookout Shelter, the Canadian Mental Health Association, Harvest Project, Sage House, Moving Forward, Lions Gate Hospital social workers, Hollyburn Family Services Society, BC Housing, North Shore Neighbourhood House, West Coast Family Centres, and by the community.
They are people like you and me. They are men, women, children; young and old. Their current circumstances are challenging, and they need the support of a caring community. Shelter to Home helps to fill this need.
We are a small group of volunteers who give our time and talent to this project.
- Answer the donation phone line
- Assess, transport, sort and store donated items
- Accept client referrals
- Work with clients to choose items for their homes
- Provide administrative and online support
Want to get involved? Please contact us at email@example.com.
Shelter to Home carries out its mission thanks to the generous financial support of granting agencies, organizations within our local community, and individuals. Individuals are also generous donors of gently used furniture and household items they no longer need, and contribute to the cost of moving their items to the storage facility. Please see our donation page for the items we accept, and how to contact us to donate your unwanted items.
We also gratefully accept monetary donations to cover the costs of renting our storage facility, and transportation of donations. The following agencies and groups have generously supported Shelter to Home over the years.
- The Lower Lonsdale Legacy Fund
- City and District of North Vancouver Community Grants
- The Toskan Foundation Philanthropic Youth Initiatives
- Seeds of Hope Grant, United Church Foundation
- Embracing the Spirit Innovation Grant, United Church of Canada
- Gulf Pacific Group
- Urban Repurpose
- 100 Women Who Care of the North Shore
- BC Girls Choir
- Cubs and Scouts
- North Vancouver Homes Realty
- Canadian Bridge Federation
- Congregation and staff of Highlands United Church
Thanks to Highlands United Church, my daughter and I have a beautifully furnished home.
After a long series of unfortunate events we are finally able to breathe a bit easier... -- MUCH easier, thanks to Ruth and the whole gang at Highlands United.
Thank you ever so much for being the angels you are. It is SO nice to know God's love and kindness is still upon this earth... It is harder and harder to see in this world lately.
Ruth, you are wonderful!